Stainless Steel Basket to Hold Disassembled Transmission Parts to be Cleaned and Remanufactured:
Our customer remanufactures forklift transmissions and they wanted us to design a custom basket to hold the individual parts from a disassembled unit for cleaning.
Our customer needed custom stainless steel baskets with specific locations for each of the individual components of a disassembled transmission. The basket must be designed to help the operator organize the parts to verify that the family of parts stays together and is complete for later re-assembly. Many of the parts are very heavy castings and gears. And all of the parts were covered with caked on grease and dirt. The basket design needed to secure all of the parts for a high pressure spray cleaning cycle with full rotation and oscillation of the loaded baskets.
The customer’s parts are very large and heavy, and the cleaning chamber of the MaFac parts washer was just barely large enough to fit everything. Three M Tool started our design process by using digital models of the customer’s parts to position them within the available space, then used SolidWorks CAD software to design the baskets to hold the parts in the optimal locations. Three M Tool’s basket design uses a stainless steel angle frame at the bottom to support the heavy basket and to slide easily into the machine’s cleaning chamber. The rest of the custom basket is 5/16″ diameter rod with an interior framework that cradles each individual component with ample open space for effective cleaning of the very dirty parts. The baskets needed an equally heavy duty lid to secure that parts during rotation, but there was no space available on the top or sides of the rectangular basket for clamps. Our solution was to notch the corners of the basket to set the toggle clamps inside the unused area of the workspace. The basket is 304 Stainless Steel Construction throughout and all surfaces are Electropolished.
We also have a short video with more detail on this project.
Design Features shown here that could be Ideas for your Custom Basket:
- Part Cradling: These custom baskets have internal rods to cradle parts in a specific location and orientation. See other Baskets with Part-specific Cradling.
- Basket Lid: This basket design has a heavy duty lid held in place by toggle clamps. See other Lid Options.
- Heavy Duty Basket: The parts cleaning in this basket are very heavy and the basket needed to secure them through a rotating cleaning cycle See other Heavy Duty Baskets.
- Basket for Spray Washing Parts: The dirty parts are caked with dirt and grease so the basket must be open to let the spray in and the dirt out. See other Baskets for Spray Washing.
- Basket used by Equipment Remanufacturers: This custom basket organized the individual components of one assembly for cleaning and reassembly. See other Baskets used by Equipment Remanufacturers.
- Basket used in MAFAC Ultrasonic Equipment: See other Baskets used in MAFAC Equipment.